After working for 30 or 40 years, your retirement day arrives. You were busy for a long time and now, you are suddenly free. This ‘free time’ may sound great. But it could soon become boring. Nobody likes a lifelong vacation.
That’s why you should engage your brain and body to do some productive things. You may have had some hobbies in the past or you may have wanted to learn something. However, you didn’t get time to chase your desires. But now you can do anything you want to.
You have money, time, and a relaxed mind. Therefore, the following list is created to inspire you. So, follow these ideas and you may enjoy your retirement days happily.
10 Things To Do In Retirement
- Gardening: Gardening comes at the top of the list. Because gardening is a great way to keep you physically and mentally active. You may love flowers, or you may like fruits. You can bring all kinds of plants and you can create your own beautiful garden. Scientifically, gardening can fill your mind with a sense of satisfaction. So, you would be really happy to see those growing plants and trees. However, the best part of gardening is that you can grow organic flowers and fruits.A garden full of organic fruits means you don’t have to visit the market to buy your fruits. Apart from that, beautiful flowers would make your home look absolutely lovely. Thus, gardening is a wonderful hobby, and you can enjoy it with your family.
- Painting: If you are an artist, then painting could be a great retirement plan. You may not know – How to paint. In that case, you can join drawing classes. Within some years, you would learn painting and people would call you an Artist.You can draw stunning pictures and you can hang them in your rooms. You can improve your painting skills and you can try different types of oil paintings. A truly skilled artist is hard to ignore. So, start learning painting and keep your retirement days busy.
- Crochet: Crochet may look like a simple thing. But it’s a great art and you need an extremely patient mind to learn it. Crochet is different from knitting. Because you use a hooked needle for stitching.With crocheting, you can create scarves to socks. This art can help you to spend time. However, it’s a highly creative art. So, your brain will always stay active. Hence, learn crocheting, stay relaxed, and spend your time creatively.
- Write A Boo: Writing a book could also be a good idea to spend your retirement days. Perhaps you wanted to write a story or perhaps you wanted to write a good novel. But because of your job, your writing skill could not come out.But now is the time. Write whatever you want. Even, you can write about yourself and your struggles (autobiography). Many people write poems and great stories. So, write what your heart wants.After finishing your book, you can read it in front of your friends and near ones. They would surely love it.
- Macramé: Macramé wall hangings and plant hangers are truly eye-catching. Macramé is neither knitting nor stitching. In reality, you don’t need any needle to create this art. You just must learn knotting techniques with cotton cords.There are many Macramé knotting styles. So, as a beginner, you should start with simple Macramé kits and ideas. Slowly, you will know this art and then you would create jar hangers, wall hangers, and more complicated artworks.You can gift these beautiful pieces of art, or you can use them to decorate your home.
- Practice Yoga: Staying fit should be your primary goal. Yoga is an ancient art and once you master it, you can keep your body healthy. Yoga is also good for mental health. But it takes a lot of time to master Yoga.If you are patient and if you are a fan of fitness, then Yoga would be a good choice for you. You don’t have to run, and you don’t have to lift heavy weights. Yoga is a simple and effective way to keep your body strong and active. Hence, master Yoga and enjoy peaceful moments.
- Travel and Explore: Some people like to explore every corner of the world. If you are among those people, then you should start travelling. This world is full of interesting cultures, unknown people, and strange food habits. It would be an enthralling journey to know these people and places.You can make a list of your favourite destinations. You may like beaches, mountains, or forests. Apart from that some people like religious places. So, make a list, pack your bags, and explore the world on your retirement days.
- Enjoy A New House: Retirement days should never be boring. So, you should buy a new house miles away from your home. You just don’t have to do anything. You can explore your new locality and you would be spending a great time.You would know – new people, new friends, and a new social life. Furthermore, a new house means a fresh start. So, try this retirement plan.
- Learn Music: Music is perhaps the only thing that can make you forget everything. Hence, start learning music. You can learn piano, guitar, electronic instruments, and more things. Even you can join singing classes.When you would be an expert, you can guide others. Music is the rhythm of life. So, learning it would always keep your mind happy.
- Do Something New: After your retirement, you should try something completely new. You can learn cooking, practice photography, play new sports, or you can renovate your house. In short, you should do something exciting.You can try multiple ideas to keep your retirement life full of colours. Hence, try something really new.
Take Your Pick and Start Enjoying Your Retirement
Many people just spend their days in clubs or in front of the TV. Living a life ‘not-so-creative’ might make your days boring and uninteresting. An active person lives a healthy life. His/her muscles and bones stay strong.
When you immerse yourself in creative jobs, your brain functions improve. Some of the above ideas would teach you some impressive skills. You can show these skills to your friends and your friends would surely praise you.
So, follow the above ideas and you can enjoy your retirement days happily.
Rick Pendykoski is the owner of Self Directed Retirement Plans LLC, a retirement planning company based in Goodyear, AZ. He has over three decades of experience working with investments and retirement planning, and over the last ten years has turned his focus to self-directed ira accounts and alternative investments. If you need help and guidance with traditional or alternative investments, call him today (866) 639-0066.